As communication professionals, we play a big role in how our organizations show support for our Black community. Especially right now. Silence isn’t an option.
As your organization thinks about how to show support, we challenge you to:
- Take action by not only saying something, but doing something. What is your organization doing to make a lasting impact? How will it continue after the news hype has settled?
- Encourage your organization to break the silence. If leadership hasn’t approached you, will you do your part to reach out to them?
- If you’re white, don’t expect people of color to educate you. Twitter’s guide: How to support Black Lives Matter as a non-Black person.
- Research what other organizations are saying as a starting point, but make your efforts unique to your organization’s story.
- More than anything, be genuine. No PR robots. We applaud local organization Palmer Scholars for its statement.
The biggest takeaway? Organizations need to act.